Thursday, September 24, 2009

Love is not Easily Angered

It’s funny because as I sat down to start writing this, I must confess that I AM a little angry. I find it odd that I feel led to write this now; but then again God always shows me something through this. Obviously He is trying to tell me something, right? It never ceases to amaze me on what I keep learning about this verse on love. As I start to examine my relationships, my marriage, my close friendships and even myself as a new mother I realize how often I fall short. Thankfully we have a truly loving and most redeeming savior!

The word anger is defined as “A strong feeling of displeasure or hostility.” Boy-oh-boy do I feel that way a lot; thank God Paul didn’t leave out that amazing little word “easily” angered. Easily meaning: the petty crap that REALLY means nothing in the long run that we all get annoyed or frustrated over. I for one find myself doing this a lot!!!

Ephesians 4:26-27, 31-32 says, “Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on the cause of your anger. Do not give the devil an opportunity. You must put away every kind of bitterness, anger, wrath, quarreling, and evil, slanderous talk. And be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you”

Let me lay it out for you in 2009 lingo. There are times for anger for a just cause, but make sure to talk about it right away and don’t let it fester inside. Don’t give the devil the opportunity to make things worse. You must not hold onto resenting bitterness, petty anger; selfish quarreling, and all that, “Oh no she didn’t” talk. {snap, snap, snap} And always be kind and tender hearted to one another, and remember that because we are forgiven every day by our God we must extend grace and forgive one another as well.

I don’t know about you, but I surely needed to hear that today (even though I wrote this last night and had to wait till my hubby edited it this morning)! So much of the time I find myself easily angered with my husband, but in the long run see that the issue was so petty and unnecessary. Or there are times where I find myself getting angry or hurt by others because they have bluntly called me out, and through my anger sits my pride knowing full well that the person is right and I just don’t want to admit it. So as I sit here wounded in my own pride I will leave you with one question before I run off and apologize to my hubby. Was your anger righteous today?!

24 comments:

Mrs. McB said...

Thank you so much for this post today. I really needed it. :)

Unknown said...

Something I really needed to hear today! Thanks Lyr!

Amber said...

I needed that today, thank you!

Jules said...

Well, I wish I would have read this 3 minutes ago before I let loose my wrath on my mother-in-law. Definitely justified, and definitely a big deal what she did. But the devil (which I sometimes say IS my MIL) got the best of me and rather than letting her say and do what she did and be the bigger person, I stooped.

I'm trying though.
Great post!!

Tatiana said...

Oh, I so do this so many times. I try not to yell and scream, so I hold it all in and am upset for days sometimes, and many times I realize that it wasn't even worth me being so angry!!! Thanks for this post!

Renae said...

It's so funny how similiar our post are today!

Very well written, and a good gut check-er. :-)

Annie said...

i should probably save this post and read it from time to time. thanks for posting hun.
i hope the rest of your day goes well :)

holly-lynn said...

anger is so difficult. so strong. sometimes we just need to express it & get over it. great reminder!

Nathan and Whitney said...

Thank you! That was a good reminder for me that pride is NOT a good reason to be angry!

Angie said...

Wow...great post! Thanks for sharing it :)

PotterMama said...

amen! i have to keep reminding myself to let the little things go..=-)

renee said...

thanks lyr! good stuff!

Unknown said...

Well said. I always "check" myself when I'm frustrated to make myself see things from a different view. Sometimes it works but sometimes it doesn't and I'm always humbled and thankful to know I'm not the only one. :-)

LeAnna said...

Girl, you sure hit a lot of great points here. I get SO frustrated with certain in-laws of mine, it is very hard for my anger to be righteous. Lord knows I try, and I fail, but then I try again. Thank you for posting this, and for being real. This is something I think so many deal with, often without realizing.

"...and remember that because we are forgiven every day by our God we must extend grace and forgive one another as well."

That is it, right there. Thank you for the reminder!

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

Great post Lyr. We all need to be reminded of this.

More Than Words said...

Great post! And no, it wasn't righteous!! :)

Emily said...

Great post and definitely something I struggle with. A lot, sad to say. Thanks for being so encouraging.

chelsea said...

As everyone else has probably said, I really needed to hear this today :) It's just nice to know I'm not the only one that gets in bitter funks and I sometimes need someone to snap me out of it! It's just not worth it!

Lauren said...

OH thanks for posting this! I think I waste a lot of time just being slightly angered & bitter!

Jen McCrady said...

awesome. thank you.

Lilly, Reid, Matt, and Sara said...

It is so important to remember that holding anger is just giving the devil an opportunity to interfere. As a stuborn woman, it is good to read this post as a reminder--sometimes I have to fight the urge to just want to be right (or for the other person to finally realize that I am right...hahahahaha). I am constantly trying to change my attitude and perspective to recognize the positive attributes of a person and not to judge other's actions and attitude (which can sometimes create anger--i.e. Why in the heck would so and so...!???), but I fail at this a lot. What can I say? We are all works in progress. I found this post to be helpful and thought-provoking!

Miss Jody said...

Great Post Lady!
Nope. Not angry today...
But in the past...I'd count to ten ( to myself) then, proceed. I mostly get upset at work...
Then, I came up with this: (one day while being royally treated like dog-doo-doo from a Walamrt employee...)I simply stopped her and said >>"Remember! Only you can prevent a bad mood!"

Amy said...

Good post!
Blessings,
Amy

Sare said...

My anger is rarely righteous. Thank you for this. {HEART} You!!