Thursday, May 8, 2008

Music

I could tell you that my world is Crashing Into Me, and how I feel like a Satellite just floating up in space. That Life is Ironic and no matter what you think You Learn from each moment. Or how I Want To Be Moved because I’m just Someone Searching for more. Then I remember He’s Always Been So Faithful and feel Compelled to move closer to Him. I feel like He is telling me to Hold On and Don’t Walk Away. That He is going to Make Me Over into Something Beautiful.

Music has the ability to trigger a memory in seconds. For example, what song comes to mind when you think about your first school dance, or your first boyfriend? For me, music plays such an important role in my life. Not only does it define moments in my life, it helped me through life.

Let me take you back…

Middle school was not the best time of my life. I had weird teeth, my mom had no idea how to dress me, so I wore high waters and boe-boe’s to school. I thought it would be cool to perm my hair, but it just made me look like I stuck my finger in an electrical socket. What music got me through? Alanis Morissette, Jagged Little Pill 1994-1996. I know, not something I’m going to want to tell my daughter one day, but this music did get me through middle school.

High school was going to be a new life for me. I got my braces off; I learned how to do my hair. Still didn’t figure the whole make up thing out until after HS, but met some awesome new people. But the biggest thing of all was that I got a HOT Christian boyfriend!!!!! Don’t you know, having a boyfriend in high school is a must, at least in my head it was! Of course, High school is filled with way too much drama; so what music got me through? First thing that comes to mind is the Titanic sound track, since that was the first movie I ever saw with Jesse. Then there was Everclear, Everlast, Five for Fighting, Goo Goo Dolls, No Doubt, but most of all Dave Mattews Band and David Gray. Each one can define a moment in my life like no other.

COLLEGE… I had hopes and dreams, I had fun with new people, and I had heart break. This was a time in my life I really needed God, and one of the first times I ever really started to thirst for more of Him. Ginny Owens’ Without Condition and Sara Groves’ Converations, gave me a whole new outlook on Gods love. For the three years I was in and out of college those two wonderful ladies are all I can remember blasting through my stereo to and from school.

Now a days, I stick to my XM Christian radio. There are just too many amazing artist to list them all. The two that have recently impacted my life are Bethany Dillon and Natalie Grant. I feel like their music was written just for me and for this time in my life. Through them, God is speaking directly to my heart. Isn’t that amazing how you can feel so connected to our savior through music? I think it’s one of the best gift’s God could have ever given us!

No comments: