Thursday, September 17, 2009

Thoughts on Potty Training

With one day down and it being daddy’s turn today; my thoughts on potty training thus far is that it pretty much sucks! Don’t get me wrong, Jayden is doing GREAT and the fact that I might not have to pay for diapers again for him is a major bonus!! But there were times yesterday I did ask myself if this was all worth it.

Potty training is just a very time consuming task, especially doing it by yourself. It’s very wearing on a mom and dad whose child is already so self sufficient in so many ways and it can sometimes be difficult to have him by my side 24/7. You literally get nothing done! The good thing about it is that both Jesse and I are getting to spend a lot of QT with our little man!!

I think that I have said “potty” so many times in the last three days that I could seriously go nuts! Last night we had family dinner at my parents and by the end; I think my siblings were ready to kill me because I said it so much. My husband thought it would be funny yesterday to text me “Do you need to use the potty?” I was not so amused. Though Jesse couldn’t be there he was texting me all day to see how I was doing; making me feel very encouraged. That helped a lot!

I think I might be that mom that getting a little too excited when her child goes “potty,” at times I felt that I was more excited than him. It was like he was saying; “ok mom, nice dance; now give me the freaking M&M’s!” Seriously, my dances were like a production!!! Am I really the only mom that did this?!

To get to this point of potty training Jayden, I felt the need to really do my research to find the best ways of getting him permanently on the potty. I didn’t want any of this “hard core” stuff and then for us to give up and go back to diapers. But all in all, I think I’m more confused by reading all that stuff than if I didn’t read it at all.

I’m convinced that it has nothing to do with gender or any technique posted on the internet. I think that every child is different and each has their own way of finally “getting it.” I’ve seen both boys and girls at 21 months, trained and be fine. I’ve also seen both boys and girls not potty trained until age 4. I don’t think that there’s any “right” way.

We are only on day two. There are moments I think Jayden will make it and be potty trained by the end of the week; then there are moments I don’t. Either way I need to stay positive and keep encouraging him. He will get it and it doesn’t really matter when. I think my expectations of this whole thing were not so much on getting HIM potty trained and more whether I could do it as a working mother. I really need to lay that down and just focus on him and help him the way he needs as best as I can.

Three more days to go…


29 comments:

Sare said...

Oh my sake! I so wish I could help you in some way. I'm sure this is so difficult for all of you! But like you said I think it's up to each kid to figure it all out. I do think you're headed in the right direction though!! He will get!! Keep smilin' babe!

Angie said...

Keep up the good work! Wow I hope my son will take an intrest also before age 2. Diapers blow!

Kameron said...

I hate potty training. My son went on the potty early, but it is one thing for them to go and another for them to start telling you when they have to go. We were using Pullups for a while until I realized that they were too much of a crutch, so we just switched MOnday to all undies all the time (except sleep. I don't need to be washing sheets a million times a week!). It is going pretty well and we haven't had any accidents yet. He is starting to tell me when he has to pee. He always tells me when he has to poop.

I wish you the best of luck and just know you aren't in this alone! We all hate potty training!!

sarah @ life {sweet} life said...

I've always hard potty training super challenging...that is one part of motherhood I am NOT looking forward to! Good luck...at least you are closer than when you started!! :)

Lauren said...

Wow...good luck, I can't imagine how hard this will be when we have kids in the future!

Annie said...

he will get it hun!
my nephew is in this stage right now as well, he hasn't figured it out quite yet either. they will though.
best of luck :)

Brandi said...

It sounds like you are on the right track... Good luck! :)

Jenna said...

Best wishes on all this. I don't know anything about it all so I can't give any tips or anything, except just keep being excited for him. ALL kids love when their parents praise them for things- even if it is going potty! :)

Because of Love said...

Alyse and I need to buckle down on the whole "Potty" thing. She is probably ready. I know that if we buckled down she could do it. Just haven't done it yet. Glad it is going well for you!

Amber said...

Hang in there! Y'all will get through it and I'm sure it will be worth it in the end! : )

Tatiana said...

Boy, am I not looking forward to that part of having children. But I am sure he will get it soon and all your hard work will be fully repaid :)

Jessica said...

Each child is so completely different that you just have to go with the flow (sorry had to do it). My daughter was a pain, but my son was super easy.
Jayden will get it and like my sister-in-law used to say "They won't be in diapers at graduation!"
Good luck and keep up the dancing!!

Nicole said...

I cant even imagine how much all those diapers add up to! I just got an invitation to a baby shower that said for more raffle entries bring packs of diapers! So I am imagining the bill is awful! Hang in there =D

Jin said...

Glad you are sharing this stuff! My son is also very independent, so to keep up with him all day will be tough!

BTW, I am rarely without my kids- I went out by myself to get my hair done (a rare treat) when she was finished with my hair, and before I paid I said "hang on, I'll be right there. I gotta go potty." No kids in sight and there I am using the 'p' word! We had a good laugh about it when I came back out. But I was still a little embarrassed when I walked out...

Keep up the good work!

tinahead81 said...

great job!! hang in there!

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

of course all mothers do a happy dance when their kid goes on the potty! i thought that was normal ;)

aunt katie is so proud of him!

Stephanie said...

I give you credit for what you're doing because I believe it's more than I could do right now. I really need to work with Caleb but I'm just not sure I have it in me at the present time. I might actually go crazy potty training right now. I dread it! Okay maybe I need to just realize it's time to bite the bullet and do it....

Anyhow I hope the next 3 days go smooth!!!!

Meredith said...

Oh gosh, I am not looking forward to that at all!

I do always crack up when my BIL and SIL mention that they have to "go potty"!

chelsea said...

stay positive! I hope it happens sooner rather than later for you :)

LeAnna said...

Oh, what we Momma's will do for our kiddos. :) I couldn't believe how many times the word poop made it into my vocabulary after my son was born. Who would have ever thought we'd be so consumed with what color and how much, and apparently it looks like we'll be in that mode until our kids are well potty trained. :) Keep truckin', Mama! He'll get there and all of us will rejoice with you. I'll even eat some M&M's... ;)

Alicia said...

I can't imagine how tough this is, but I sure do wish I could see your "I'm so happy he went pee pee on the potty" dance. I bet every mom does that. It has been crazy lately, looking forward to catching up on your posts!

Nicki said...

I'm impressed with your experience and desire to know more! I will definitely have to check back with you down the road for my own kids! :)

Rachel H. said...

I don't have to worry about this for quite some time, but it's one thing that I definitely don't look forward to! Ha-Ha! :)

katie + bret said...

Well it sounds like you are doing a great job! Maybe come up with a new word for "potty" so you don't lose your mind though - That wouldn't be too good, lol

Trina said...

I agree, I think it all boils down to when a child is actually ready, and until then everything you try will fail or be very frustrating.

This too will pass tho, I made it to the other side ;)

Annie said...

good luck!

i think that you are right, everyone is different and the 'tricks' that work for one, might now work for the next one...

hang in there! my fingers are crossed for you :)

Jocelyn said...

I am so glad that stage in my life is done! Although mine are getting closer to teenage years, and maybe I would like to potty train again instead:-)

Erin said...

My daughter is almost 2.5 and we are trying to potty train her. She tells us when she pees and when she poops she can't sit down and that she needs her diaper changed. She will go on the potty every now and then but just doesn't want to sit there. I can't wait tell we don't have to buy diapers for her as I already have started buying diapers for the little one on the way.

I hope things go smooth!!

Amber said...

You start to sound like a broken record for sure! My sister would laugh at me because I asked Jacob a million times at first. It gets easier and it will click. You are right every child is different. I hope it is going well for you!! Good luck!