Monday, March 10, 2008

Freak Out

I can still remember when my mom would take me to the pediatrician to get my annual shots. I would work myself up so much that my heart would race, my palms would sweat, and my mind would wander with thoughts of how big and how thick the needle would be going into my arm. As you can see, I’m not a needle person!

With all that being said, Jayden is totally my son! Today, we had his 4 month check-up… which wonderfully included his DPT shot, Hib shot, polio shot, and pneumococcal shot; four vaccines, two in each leg. But this was not the first time he had done this and he knew it! As soon as we walked in the room he curled right up on me and put his head on my chest. I instantly knew my child was BRILLIANT, and was scared to death that this was going to be like before.

When I got into the room, the nurse asked me to take everything off but his diaper and she would be back in a moment. When she came back she asked me to lay him out the table just to get his length. As soon as I laid him on the table he turned bright red (just like mommy) and screamed his head off! I couldn’t believe it, this poor nurse had done nothing yet and this kid was terrified! I gave him his nuk, he clamed down right away. She checked his ears and everything they’re suppose to and then informed me that she would be back in a moment to give him his immunizations. All of a sudden my heart started to race. Staying calm, I had to sit down and ask God to calm my heart. He sure did work fast! As soon as the nurse came in, I had completely calmed down and was ready to do this thing. She said to me sweetly “I’m ready when you are!” I put him down on the table and held is arms. As soon as the first shot was in, I felt tears weld up in my eye. Believe it or not, it really hurts when you see your child in pain. I never believed until I had him.

When it was all done, I picked him up and just held him. He calmed down pretty quickly, got him dressed and we went on our way! When we got home I gave him some Tylenol and let him rest for about 20 minutes. When he woke up, it was like nothing happened. He sure us my little tough guy!

No comments: